Monday, July 23, 2018

BLASST #51: TRACKLIST & NOTES


BLASST #51 TRACKLIST
1. BLASST - "Sunrise on a Sunset" (Theme for BLASST)
2. Wax Idols - "Warning (Had It Good)"
3. Haruomi Hosono - "Body Snatchers"
4. Kamasi Washington - "Vi Lua Vi Sol"
5. Lower Dens - "Brains/Stem"
6. Michael C Sharp - "Yes You"
7. Group Anmattaf - "Tinariwen"
8. Yoko Ono - "Walking on Thin Ice" (feat. Jason Pierce of Spiritualized)

NOTES: The Wax Idols show went so well this past Friday. Thanks to all who came out to see them and SRSQ, and especially the folks who got there early to see Cat-Ion. I was completely blown away by their performance that night. They've matured so much and tightened up their sound a lot in the short time they've been a band. There's no reason that Linda, the vocalist, shouldn't be surrounded by people screaming her lyrics at the top of their lungs, huge mosh pits erupting at her feet. I can see it happening in the near future. Even Hether Fortune, leader, vocalist, and guitarist of Wax Idols, told the audience how impressed she was with their set, and urged everyone to continue to support them. I couldn't agree more. Slow Attack did well, we were a little more on the noisier side, which I always enjoy. Not that playing shows with fellow local musicians is a competition or should be competitive, but there's a distinct comfort in knowing you came in second place. As well as Slow Attack did, we were thoroughly handed our asses by the rest of the lineup. So much fun.

The following day, my Patrick, the promoter of the WI/SRSQ show, and I drove the bands into Mexico to meet up with their driver for their Mexican dates, Oscar/Daniel. It was here that the bands' complete lack of Spanish speaking skills became apparent. I think I always assume that everyone in the country knows at least a little bit of Spanish, perhaps because of the privilege I have of coming from a part of the country that is 95% latinx. I provided translation services between the band and immigration employees while the band applied for their migration permits. I think that helped ease whatever tension they had about traveling into Mexico. They seemed quite concerned. I think, if I were in their shoes, I probably would have as well. I've never traveled beyond Reynosa without my family. However, after the band picked up their permits, and we returned to the parking lot where we sat for a couple of sunburnt hours, I felt the anxiety of traveling through the unknown fade. I've been watching episodes of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown for the first time lately, and it's been quite stimulating for the intrepid side of my personality. Caution should not be an excuse for depriving oneself of experiences. Like any decision one makes, the decision to travel unknown roads should be an informed and researched one. I hope to one day tour throughout the world at least once with any of my bands, present and future. Traveling is one of the few things left that brings me true, unconditional joy.

I'm rambling. Tune in for BLASST #52 Monday 7/23/18. It's going to be a good one. Tune in here.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLASST 132: C. Diaz

TRACKLIST 1. Björk - "Big Time Sensuality" 2. Ataque de Caspa - "Viaje a Egipto" 3. PJ Harvey - "Is This Desire?&qu...