Tuesday, April 7, 2020

BLASST 106: Angel Corsi

TRACKLIST:
1. May Erlewine - "Living Well"
2. Zion I - "Coastin' feat. K-Flay"
3. Pigeon John - "Gotta Good Feelin'"
4. Angel Corsi - "How We Survive (live)"


LISTEN ON MIXCLOUD 
LISTEN ON APPLE PODCASTS

NOTES:
Today's BLASST features our second guest of 2020: Angel Corsi! Angel is a singer-songwriter from Harlingen, TX with a strong community-oriented MO. He's owned venues, music shops, organized municipal live music events across the Valley, and most notably to me, he also regularly teaches classes on how to write music and be a better songwriter and performer - even from a business sense. His contributions to the RGV music scene have brought him to my attention over the past couple of years, and with the release of his latest EP, In The Quiet Hours, I wanted to bring him on the show to talk about all of it! I can honestly say that this is one of my favorite conversations I've ever had on the program, and I hope you enjoy it too.

One of the aspects of Angel's recent work with the In The Quiet Hours EP is that he's focusing on the processing of trauma. The narratives he puts forth in his music are living and embodying trauma for the purpose of overcoming it, and I think that's a great contrast to a trend in art and music right now where we as artists are defining ourselves by our trauma in such a way that we can never escape its effects on our identity. I think that's a really significant creative choice, and one that perhaps could lead other artists by example. 

You will probably notice that this interview, like my talk with Jacob of Pillowsnake a couple of weeks ago, also took place before the COVID-19 pandemic hit the US, and so some of the things we talk about didn't end up happening, but as Raymus Media commented on that episode, it's nice to listen to a conversation that takes place in a world where the novel coronavirus is not at large.

Tune in next week for the first in a series of episodes I'll be doing to highlight different ways in which the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted members of the RGV community. I don't have a name for them yet, but all of that will be ready to go by next Tuesday!

To check out the 'mafia folk' music that Angel mentions, go here.

To listen to In The Quiet Hours, go here.

To visit the webpage where Angel has posted all of the lies his fans typed out at his release show, go here.

To watch the video from which the audio I play at the end comes from, look below.

To learn more about Angel's RGV Songwriter School that I mention briefly (and he alludes to later in the show), follow Angel and the school on Instagram!

Thanks again for tuning in, see y'all next week.

Stay home, stay safe, stay healthy.

AS


No comments:

Post a Comment

BLASST 132: C. Diaz

TRACKLIST 1. Björk - "Big Time Sensuality" 2. Ataque de Caspa - "Viaje a Egipto" 3. PJ Harvey - "Is This Desire?&qu...