Tuesday, March 19, 2019

BLASST 83 - SPACE II - TRACKLIST + NOTES

BLASST 83 TRACKLIST
1. Infinite Bisous - "Importance"
2. Moondog - "Bird's Lament"
3. The Cleaners From Venus - "This Rainy Decade"
4. Boris - "A Bao a Qu"
5. Karlheinz Stockhausen - "Kontakte"
6. Houssam Gania - "Moulay Lhacham"
7. Alice Coltrane - "Galaxy In Turiya"
8. Pharaoh Sanders - "Astral Traveling"
9. Yusef Lateef - "Sunset"
10. Pauline Oliveros - "Bye Bye Butterfly"
11. Suzanne Ciani - "The First Wave: Birth of Venus"

12. Meredith Monk - "Unison"

LISTEN TO THE SHOW



NOTES: 
Ok, I decided I'm not going to continue spelling out the episode numbers because that's some cornball-ass shit. I don't care what Apple decides to do to my episodes, it's just not worth it. Anyway, we go back into space on this broadcast, and I get to play all the stuff I wanted to play last week, but couldn't. 

As you should know if you've been paying attention, I've been really interested in playing music that prioritizes space in all it's forms on this and last week's broadcasts, be it physical space, metaphorical space, conceptual space, space as a science-fictional concept, and as an overall theme of expansion and exploration. I associate those terms with this theme in particular: "expansion" and "exploration". When I think of space, I wonder more about what I can't comprehend than what I can. I've been a fan of science-fiction since I was a kid, films, books, games—you name it. They expanded my mind and introduced me to worlds unknown, bringing me an uneasy sense of comfort in the role of spectator to the terrific chaos of the cosmos. I grew up with science-fiction films that were largely scored by synthesizers, visualized with more prosthetics and models than CGI, and heavily influenced by the growing pains of it's point in time; a veritable "wild west" of technological experimentation and innovation that told me "anything is possible." So when I approach music with these ideas, I find the same comfort in exploring the way they are interpreted by different artists. Whether through a crooked pattern of noises and impulses like Stockhausen and his "raummusik" ("space music" in German), or by an expansive swell of strings and percussion bringing to mind visualizations of open fields of clouds, stars as far as the eye can see such as on Alice Coltrane's World Galaxy LP (of which we feature a track "Galaxy in Turiya" today), today's broadcast seeks a distortion of the senses, a supplemental experience of time and space, or at best, a meditation on the interconnection of things as defined by their distance from each other. I think this meditation can find parallels in our present day in ways I'm sure you, the reader, will be more than able to determine on your own. I hope you enjoy this broadcast, I had a lot of fun putting it together. Might bring back a Space III in the near future, but not before Soundtracks III, which is coming soon. Thanks for listening, and be sure to subscribe wherever you listen to us, so you can catch our new episodes every week! Follow us at the links below, and feel free to reach out with an e-mail!

Bon Voyage,

A

-------

E-mail
Mixcloud
Instagram

Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLASST 132: C. Diaz

TRACKLIST 1. Björk - "Big Time Sensuality" 2. Ataque de Caspa - "Viaje a Egipto" 3. PJ Harvey - "Is This Desire?&qu...