Tuesday, March 5, 2019

BLASST 81 - TRACKLIST + NOTES

BLASST 81 TRACKLIST
1. The Prodigy - "Out of Space"
2. The Prodigy - "Their Law (ft. Pop Will Eat Itself)"
4. Lizzy Mercier Descloux - "Hard-Boiled Babe"
5. The Prodigy - "Firestarter"
6. Atmosphere - "Wild Wild Horses"
7. Solange - "S McGregor (interlude)"
8. Solange - "Down With the Clique"
9. Fishmans - "Long Season Pt. 1"
10. Pecas - "Tuesdays"
11. Dezorah - "To Be"
12. Katzù Oso - "Coqueta"
13. Yruama - "Mars"
14. Stef Chura - "Spotted Gold"
15. Gustaf - "A Dream (demo)"
16. TV Flesh - "Bad Acid"
17. Stereolab - "Orgiastic"


LISTEN TO THE SHOW


NOTES:
This was one of the more fun episodes I've done lately, on a personal level. I elevated my computer and workstation, which resulted in my standing for the entirety of the show, and subsequently dancing during a lot of these tracks (even the slower ones). I feel really good about it, the flow, the variety of artists we played in this show (a lot of the bands that will be playing DREAMS this weekend take up the latter half of the program!!!) and my banter was particularly on point as well (code for: I didn't ramble that much last night). 

Yesterday also marks the death of Keith Flint, dancer and vocalist from the groundbreaking EDM group, The Prodigy. Like I said last week and the week before (for some reason), I'm still not that versed in dance musics, but last night had me delving a little deeper to learn more about Keith and the band, and their place in the world. All I can say following this brief, brief bout of research is that learning about EDM genres is even more intimidating than I could ever imagine. I found a YouTube video that gave examples of SIXTY (60) different genres and styles of EDM. I found that absolutely mind-blowing. Not because they all can easily be mistaken for each other, but for how much time and energy the world has put into entire genres that are based off of their slight variation of another form. It's a slightly more intimidating version of navigating the smorgasbord of white christian faiths (baptists, latter-say saints, former-day saints, jehovah's witnesses, etc), they're all based on the same core principles, but differ greatly if you start to dive deeper into them and make them a bigger part of your life. 

Anyway, yesterday was an educational day, though of course, through unfortunate circumstances. It was, after all, reported that Keith Flint took his own life. His reasons for doing so are not known, but the world is shaken, and rightfully so. No one knows what was going through his mind at the time, what he was experiencing in his life, etc. It's a reminder that you should check in on your friends, no matter how well you think they're doing. Even if they don't get back to you or if the conversation only lasts a few messages or words, all that matters is that you try. I don't have the best days sometimes, and on those days, reaching out to friends is the best thing I can do for myself. I wish I saw people more often, but as happens when you and your friends grow up, your lives sometimes move in different directions, and your schedules differ. Sometimes your friends don't live around you anymore, and the only way you keep in contact is by making that effort to keep up with them. This is normal, and in my opinion necessary. It's strange to think about worlds in which people you admire no longer exist. It sort of makes you wonder how much you've personally put into sustaining this world you have been influenced to believe in.

More words next week along with more music. Thanks for tuning in this week. Please go to the DREAMS festival. The lineup is absolutely solid (as usual with Tigersblood.org events) and it also may be one of the last times I play music in a live setting with SUPER for some time. We still have a lot of merch, so if you feel like picking some of it up, I'll have it on hand. 

Thanks for reading. Send us an e-mail: uupunk at gmail dot com

Instagram
Twitter
Mixcloud

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLASST 132: C. Diaz

TRACKLIST 1. Björk - "Big Time Sensuality" 2. Ataque de Caspa - "Viaje a Egipto" 3. PJ Harvey - "Is This Desire?&qu...