Tuesday, February 5, 2019

BLASST Throwback: Episode 1

BLASST #1 TRACKLIST
1. Miles Davis - “Great Expectations”
2. Laurie Anderson - “O Superman”
3. Tollund Men - “Fire”
4. Chris Cohen - “Torrey Pine”
5. Xetas - “The Soil”
6. Baseborn - “Serpent’s Path”
7. The Breeders - “No Aloha”
8. Administrator - “Bad People”
9. Blitz - “New Age”
10. G.L.O.S.S. - “Trans Day of Revenge”
11. High-Functioning Flesh - “Human Remains”
12. Krimewatch - “Peach Generations”
13. Lié - “Seams”
14. Lumpy & The Dumpers - “Blue Lives”
15. Suburban Lawns - “Janitor”
16. Stereolab - “The Stars Our Destination”
17. Sparks - “Thank God It’s Not Christmas”
18. Antonio Pinto & Ed Cortez - "


LISTEN TO THE EPISODE

NOTES
Apologies for the lack of a new episode today, I had to take the night off to do an interview for an article I've been working on for one of the last issues of MAXIMUMROCKNROLL about the RGV hardcore punk scene. Since the clock is ticking, and the band could only meet last night, I figured it wouldn't hurt to put the show aside for a night. This piece is really important to me, as it provides the world (since MRR is an internationally-read publication) with an update on what hardcore punk looks like and sounds like in the Rio Grande Valley, a place that has been put on the cover of every magazine, every news story, and every presidential press conference over the past few years, defined by people who haven't the slightest fucking clue what this place is like. I'm tired of letting these people weaponize my home to further their selfish campaigns of destruction. This isn't to say that MRR readers believe any of this hype and need to be convinced otherwise, but if someone's going to talk about this place, it's going to be someone who's FROM HERE. As much as I'd love to snap my fingers and snap the neck of every person who speaks ill of this place for their personal or political gain, I also recognize the power of portrayal. The only reason these fallacious narratives are allowed to flourish is because they're put on our airwaves, on our television sets, and in our laws. These lies have (and need) a platform in order to survive, so I figure the best way to combat these lies is by giving truth a platform. The truth that is louder than all of these lies, if only given the chance to resonate. 

Anyway, that's what I hope to achieve with the piece. Only parts of the interviews will make it into the entire article, so I'll be posting the full interviews here for you to read later this year. ON TO TODAY'S FLASHBACK. 

Since I couldn't work on a new episode, I decided to look back on the first episode I ever did of BLASST. October 10th, 2016 was when it was released, and I had very little idea of how the show would evolve, let alone how it should be structured. You'll notice I have a lot more to say and lose my train of thought less. This is because I recorded my spoken parts in pieces, following research on the artists I was about to talk about. I miss doing this because it makes me sound more informed and less like I don't know what I'm talking about, but I also love the excitement and "sink or swim" approach that speaking live provides me with the way I do the show today. As usual, the episode provides a wide platform of sounds and represents many different voices. That was, and remains the goal of the program. There's also an outro I had my partner at the time record for me, which I had completely forgotten about. I think I wanted to include that to match the format used by the podcasts I listened to. I might bring that back, for brevity's sake. We'll see. Anyway, enjoy the jump back in time, and stay tuned for next week's episode! As always, it's going to be very special.







Also, I'm very excited to hear that Stereolab is returning to live performances. I hope they tour the US. I will fly wherever they play, and watch them as much as I can. I know Laetitia Sadier was all about Jordan Peterson recently, but I don't think she's the type of person to advocate for harm, and when she realizes that that's what JP does, she'll come around.

A_

INSTAGRAM
TWITTER
E-MAIL

MIXCLOUD

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLASST 132: C. Diaz

TRACKLIST 1. Björk - "Big Time Sensuality" 2. Ataque de Caspa - "Viaje a Egipto" 3. PJ Harvey - "Is This Desire?&qu...