Tuesday, February 12, 2019

BLASST 78 - TRACKLIST + NOTES

BLASST 78 TRACKLIST
1. Chalk & Friends - "Sarah Beames (Reading)"

2. Chalk & Friends - "It's Not You We're After"
3. Peter Brötzmann & Bill Laswell - "Death Rattle"
4. Группа Хмурый (Gruppa Chmury) - "Я Иду / I Walk"
5. Powerplant - "True Love"
6. Murderer - "Juicy Fruit Dream"
7. SB The Moor - "PAIN (SUN GOD)"
8. Breakout - "Say Hello"
9. Merle Hazard - "(Gimme Some Of That) Ol' Atonal Music"
10. Koji Kondo - "Dire Dire Docks"
11. Chronophage - "Racing"
12. Damak - "Through Terraces"
13. SUPER BUFF - "CORONDALLA"
14. Prostitutes - "Glaube Nichts"
15.
Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah - "Ancestral Recall (feat. Saul Williams)"
16. Jan Bukes de Grey - "Mice and Rats in the Loft"
17. Link Wray & The Ray Men - "Kiki"
 

LISTEN TO THE SHOW






NOTES:

First of all, I would like to apologize for the shoddy scheduling of the past few weeks. Last week's absence throws my calculations of the show's centennial episode off once again. I've been trying to be more proactive by preparing broadcast material for holidays and otherwise important dates, and every missed week pushes that date further into the future. If you look on the bright side of that, however, it just means I have more time to prepare! Joy.

On today's show, I finally get around to playing stuff I've been excited about and listening to for some time. Save for a couple of tracks, of course. There's always room for surprises! The show opens with two tracks from a live recording of the Houston group Chalk performing on Galveston Island with friends and collaborators. 

The performance consists of free-form improvisation, tape loops, and a host of other illuminating instrumentation, and was recorded, as the album states, using multiple tape recorders which were placed in the sand, surrounding the group. It's a beautiful recording with arresting creative energy. You can pick up a cassette copy here

The Peter Brötzmann/Bill Laswell track that follows it comes from a tape called Low Life, which I found while rumming through a box of old cassettes which contained hunting noises. Or rather, the noises of animals hunters were trying to hunt. I assume the idea was you would bring a tape recorder with you out into the wilderness and play the tape to attract prey? I shudder to think how loud the average portable tape player was in those days. (picturing some bumbly hunter holding up a pair of old sony on-ears into the wilderness and hoping the real animals hiding in the distance can't tell the difference between a recording and the real thing, let alone whether the tape is high bias or not).

Other excellent selections on the show today come from a stunning album by SB The Moor, SPIRIT REALM.FINAL, a chilling noise-crusted hip-hop track called "PAIN (SUN GOD)" and a track from an album I've just recently heard on YouTube via the Harakiri Diat channel (I fumble the name on the air). The band is called Powerplant, they're from the UK (London to be exact) and their album, People In The Sun, is a hectic effort that barely lets one breathe, it's such an unrelenting stream of beautiful sounds and "damn I wish I wrote that" songwriting.

I'm really excited for the Chronophage/Damak show this weekend, both of those bands mean a great deal to me on a personal level, and I am beyond excited to see Chronophage play a show in the RGV for the first time. There was a time where I wasn't sure if I would ever be able to go see them play because they never left Austin, but now I get to play a show with them! It feels surreal sometimes. I'm also very excited to play with SUPER again. We will be playing with Trey Puga on drums this weekend. You may know Trey from his masterful work behind the kit in the mighty RGV post-prog outfit Dezorah. If not, check out their music below:

Anyway, SUPER sounds like a machine that has just been oiled up and cleaned. It's honestly amazing to witness, and humbling to be a part of. With Dezorah moving away, and Trey specifically leaving the day after we play, I suspect that this will be one of the last shows SUPER will play this year. Both because this is the best we've ever sounded, and it will be near impossible to find another drummer who will be able to match or surpass Trey's input to the group's music. It feels appropriate to put something to rest when it feels this good. I don't plan to stop making music, I just think I'm ready for something else. Something new and different.

Here comes that broken record again. Speaking of which, I broke a record today while cleaning it, I have no idea why it was so brittle, but yeah. A chunk broke off in my hand. Really disappointing. This episode is not disappointing, however. It's got a great mix of rock n roll, punk, and ambiance. I'm talking Super Mario 64 Dire Dire Docks shit. Check it out.

E-MAIL
INSTAGRAM
TWITTER
MIXCLOUD

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLASST 132: C. Diaz

TRACKLIST 1. Björk - "Big Time Sensuality" 2. Ataque de Caspa - "Viaje a Egipto" 3. PJ Harvey - "Is This Desire?&qu...