Tuesday, June 18, 2019

BLASST 96 - TRACKLIST + NOTES

TRACKLIST
1. Les Reines Prochaines - "Opfer dieses Liedes"
2. Rockabye Baby - "Heroes"
3. Vivienne Styg - "Hellhound"
4. Kaleidoscope - "After The Futures"
5. Exercise - "Catastrophizer"
6. Nosferatu - "Under the Sun"
7. Institute - "Shangri-La"
8. Notekillers - "Ricochet"
9. Sleater-Kinney - "Start Together"
10. Jayne Cortez & The Firespitters - "If The Drum Is A Woman"
11. Einsturzende Neubauten - "Horen Mit Schmerzen"
12. Dump - "International Airport"
13. Temple of Angels - "Cerise Dream"
14. Taleen - "Baby Love"
15. 7FO - "Ten"
16. Harriet Brown - "Obsession"


LISTEN ON MIXCLOUD
LISTEN ON APPLE PODCASTS

NOTES
What a week. Ever since getting back from my trip, it's been one thing after another. First, I'm sick the first week back. The worst kind of sick, too. I resembled more of a human mucous fountain than anything else. I certainly couldn't think like a human being for that week, that's for sure. Too much cold medicine. Why are so many of us plagued with allergies?

Anyway, after being sick, I lost my wallet, which threw a big wrench in a lot of my plans. I had to cancel my cards and order new ones, which put most of my services on pause, INCLUDING this show's hosting services. Eventually, it turned up, but the damage had been done. Getting settled has been a slow process, altogether. It's left me feeling very discombobulated and disorganized, despite the fact that I am continuing to organize things in my life. Namely, the 13th U-Punk show, which will feature Houston's yee haw post-punk outfit Vivienne Styg in the place of out-of-town band, supported by several great local groups that I'll be announcing later this week. Promo flyer below.
Along with this show, I've also begun practicing with Slow Attack for a show we'll be playing later this month, 6/29 at Sauce House, flyer for THAT below:

So those practices have been going very well. No matter how long a break we take from playing together, we always fall back in-line really quickly. I really like that about the band. It makes the collaborative relationship we share truly rich and worthwhile. In a final bit of band news, I'm also working on getting Super off the ground again. That poor band has suffered from a lack of momentum for years now. It sucks, because that's usually my main creative outlet. I also think that I've been having trouble wading through depressive episodes to get things done and find motivation to overcome those obstacles that the band's been facing. We could find a drum machine, or maybe pick up a fill-in drummer, but that takes a little work, and perhaps in the past it's been more daunting to me than usual.

I think moving out of my apartment has provided some sort of stress relief. I feel less weight on my shoulders, despite still feeling the pressure to have my shit together and things in order. Like, I still get the "what are you working on now" question from people when I run into them in public, and it's like I want to say "nothing. nothing at all. I've been stuck in depression loops since you last saw me, and sometimes can't tell if I'm doing things to appear as if I'm productive or because I genuinely want to do them. That kind of disillusionment is something that has left me with the move. I feel more comfortable than ever with dropping everything and disappearing off the face of the earth, but my current endeavors require otherwise. To compensate, I've tried to find more peaceful uses of my time that can help my brain breathe, despite the cramping sensation of time slipping away. It's truly helped. Okay, I'm rambling and haven't even talked about today's episode. I supposed that's because there isn't a big theme associated with this one. No one (that I admire) has died today or recently, so I've put together a collection of stuff I've heard over the past couple of weeks. A little trip through some sonic exploration, if you will. This week's cover photo features Jayne Cortez, an essential poet, writer, and performance artist of the Black Arts Movement, known for her distinct vocal range that is often associated with strong political discourse and critique. She released several albums in collaboration with various groups of musicians that she identified with politically. Today's selection is from There It Is. I hope you enjoy it and look her up afterward!

Next week's broadcast will be fun though. We'll be talking to LA's funk emissary Harriet Brown about their music, inspirations, and their new record, Mall of Fortune, while playing some tracks of their choosing. It'll be one of my last interviews on the show, so I'm thankful for the privilege of having this conversation.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. Seeya next week.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLASST 132: C. Diaz

TRACKLIST 1. Björk - "Big Time Sensuality" 2. Ataque de Caspa - "Viaje a Egipto" 3. PJ Harvey - "Is This Desire?&qu...