Tuesday, January 29, 2019

BLASST 76 TRACKLIST + NOTES

BLASST 76 TRACKLIST
1. Gregorio y Maria - "El Corrido de Martin Luther King"
2. The Velvet Underground - "Jesus"
3. Death - "Where Do We Go From Here?"
4. Pleasure Venom - "Gunt"
5. Special Interest - "Service"
6. Divide & Dissolve - "Black Supremacy"
7. Moor Mother - "Parallel Nightmares"
8. Vagabon - "100 Years"
9. ONO - "I Dream of Sodomy"
10. Irreversible Entanglements - "Chicago To Texas"


Apologies for this going up so late, that is very unprofessional of me.

Essentially, I wanted to express my frustration with the way Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his work is used and abused by people seeking to label the fight for racial equality as one that has been won. The White House's tweet framing MLK's murder as some sort of christ-like gift to society is insulting at the very least. This narrative erases the continued racial inequality that exists in this country, deeper than the state, but in people's hearts and minds. It's utter bullshit, and I became so frustrated that I found myself at a loss with a proper way to articulate this, while also breaking down the many different arms of the hydra-like beast of institutional racism. It's an endeavor that would have exhausted me, and at a silly price. I opted to focus on taking care of my brother and my parent's house this week instead, and before I knew it, a week had gone by. I apologize for this negligence, to y'all and to Dr. King, may he rest in peace.

In the spirit of MLK Day, I wanted to fill this show with some of the most interesting Black artists I've had the privilege of following or discovering in the past few years alone, save for the opening two tracks, which 1. features a corrido written about Dr. King and performed by musicians from the Rio Grande Valley, and 2. features a song I had on my mind literally all day while the aforementioned frustration festered. It helped me calm down like it always does.

-A

E-Mail
Instagram
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLASST 132: C. Diaz

TRACKLIST 1. Björk - "Big Time Sensuality" 2. Ataque de Caspa - "Viaje a Egipto" 3. PJ Harvey - "Is This Desire?&qu...